Mayor John Tory’s economic support and recovery task force for small business was recently announced and more information can be found in this article, and on the Economic Support & Recovery page of the City of Toronto website.
PLEASE NOTE: John Kiru, Executive Director of TABIA (Toronto Association of Business Improvement Areas) will have a seat at the table of the Mayor's task force. That's right. Your concerns, your needs, among 82 other BIA's across Toronto, representing over 40,000 small and independent businesses, is being represented at the municipal level.
Many of you may have made the difficult decision to reduce your hours or close temporarily, and we recognize that many of you will have additional strain put upon your already thin margins.
Here's where you can help us help you:
1. Please keep track of your loses and all the ways your business and your employees are being impacted by this global health event.
2. Tell us what you think the Toronto Small Business Task Force, or the Province can do for you. We have a direct line to the decision makers.
Service Canada has set up a dedicated phone line for inquires regarding Employment Insurance claims related to the COVID-19 pandemic: 1-833-381-2725.
Please call, and encourage your employees to call, this number if:
1. You need to apply for EI sickness benefits because you are unable to work because you must self-isolate for 14 days (the one-week EI wait period has been waved for those for whom this is the case);
2. You have been laid off because of the COVID-19 pandemic and are looking to initiate a claim for regular EI benefits, or
3. You are an employee or and employer who is looking to apply for financial support through the EI Work-Sharing program due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Click here for downloadable signage for your shop/service door.
All the best from your BIA board of management - we're in this together.